Archive for category Interesting
By Brendan Sasso
Follow on Twitter
March 17, 2014
The United States is planning to give up its last remaining authority over the technical management of the Internet.
The Commerce Department announced Friday that it will give the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), an international nonprofit group, control over the database of names and addresses that allows computers around the world to connect to each other.
Administration officials say U.S. authority over the Internet address system was always intended to be temporary and that ultimate power should rest with the “global Internet community.”
But some fear that the Obama administration is opening the door to an Internet takeover by Russia, China, or other countries that are eager to censor speech and limit the flow of ideas.
“If the Obama Administration gives away its oversight of the Internet, it will be gone forever,” wrote Daniel Castro, a senior analyst with the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.
Castro argued that the world “could be faced with a splintered Internet that would stifle innovation, commerce, and the free flow and diversity of ideas that are bedrock tenets of world’s biggest economic engine.”
Rep. Marsha Blackburn, a Tennessee Republican, called the announcement a “hostile step” against free speech.
“Giving up control of ICANN will allow countries like China and Russia that don’t place the same value in freedom of speech to better define how the internet looks and operates,” she said in a statement.
Critics warn that U.S. control of the domain system has been a check against the influence of authoritarian regimes over ICANN, and in turn the Internet.
But other advocacy groups, businesses, and lawmakers have praised the administration’s announcement—while also saying they plan to watch the transition closely.
The Internet was invented in the United States, and the country has always had a central role in its management. But as the Internet has grown, other countries have demanded a greater voice. Edward Snowden’s leaks about U.S. surveillance have only exacerbated that tension.
China, Russia, Iran, and dozens of other countries are already pushing for more control over the Internet through the International Telecommunications Union, a United Nations agency.
The transition to full ICANN control of the Internet’s address system won’t happen until October 2015, and even then, there likely won’t be any sudden changes. ICANN was already managing the system under a contract from the Commerce Department.
But having the ultimate authority over the domain name system was the most important leverage the United States had in debates over the operation of the Internet. It was a trump card the U.S. could play if it wanted to veto an ICANN decision or fend off an international attack on Internet freedom.
The Obama administration is keenly aware of the potential for an authoritarian regime to seize power over the Internet. ICANN will have to submit a proposal for the new management system to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, an agency within the Commerce Department.
“I want to make clear that we will not accept a proposal that replaces the NTIA role with a government-led or an intergovernmental solution,” Larry Strickling, the head of NTIA, said Friday.
Fadi Chehadé, the president and CEO of ICANN, said he will work with governments, businesses, and nonprofits to craft a new oversight system.
“All stakeholders deserve a voice in the management and governance of this global resource as equal partners,” he said.
Verizon, AT&T, Cisco, and other business groups all issued statements applauding the administration’s move. Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller argued that the transition will help ensure the Internet remains free and open.
Sen. John Thune, the top Republican on the Commerce Committee, said he will watch the process carefully, but that he trusts “the innovators and entrepreneurs more than the bureaucrats—whether they’re in D.C. or Brussels.”
The transition will reassure the global community that the U.S. is not trying to manipulate the Internet for its own economic or strategic advantage, according to Cameron Kerry, a fellow at the Brookings Institution and the former acting Commerce secretary.
Steve DelBianco, the executive director of NetChoice, a pro-business tech group, said the U.S. was bound to eventually give up its role overseeing Internet addresses. But he said lawmakers and the Obama administration will have to ensure that ICANN will still be held accountable before handing the group the keys to the address system in 2015.
DelBianco warned that without proper safeguards, Russian President Vladimir Putin or another authoritarian leader could pressure ICANN to shut down domains that host critical content.
“That kind of freedom of expression is something that the U.S. has carefully protected,” DelBianco said in an interview. “Whatever replaces the leverage, let’s design it carefully.”
) Talk radio host Rusty Humprhies.
2) Joe the Plumber from Joe For America.
3) Mark Block, who served as chief of staff for Herman Cain’s 2012 presidential campaign.
4) Radio host Tony Whitnack from Afternoon Drive w/ Tony Whitnack.
5) Cyrus Massoumi from Mr. Conservative.
6) William Jacobson from Legal Insurrection.
The judges voted on a large selection of contestants. The judges voted on over 40 contestants. After dropping the low score for each woman, the highest remaining scores made the list.
Do keep in mind that this list only covers active women in the new media. That means no Fox News contributors, no congressional aides, and no think tankers — unless they have a new media presence as well.
Here are the women that made the final cut.
17) Sarah Durand from The Louisville Tea Party.
17) Scottie Hughes from The Tea Party News Network.
17) Michelle Malkin
17) Rachel Marsden
14) Helen Smith
14) Ashley Herzog
14) Anne Marie Murrell from Politichicks
13) Mary Katharine Ham-Brewer from Hot Air.
11) April Gregory (Podcasting)
11) Sarah Palin.
10) Bettina Inclan
8) Lila Rose from Live Action.
8) Monica Crowley from Monica Memo.
7) Katie Kieffer.
4) Jedediah Bila.
3) Katie Pavlich from Townhall.
1) Dana Perino
The 20 Hottest Conservative Women In The New Media (2012 Edition) The 20 Hottest Conservative Women In The New Media (2011 Edition) The 20 Hottest Conservative Women In The New Media (2010 Edition) The 15 Hottest Conservative Women In The New Media (2009 Edition)
Written by a 90 year old
Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio .
“To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most requested column I’ve ever written.
My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:
1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short – enjoy it.
4. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don’t have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
8. It’s OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
12. It’s OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye, but don’t worry, God never blinks.
16.. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
18. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
19.. It’s never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ‘In five years, will this matter?’
27. Always choose life.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.
35. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative of dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have, not what you need
42. The best is yet to come…
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
45. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.”
By Doug Giles / 28 February 2013
Have you ever asked yourself, “Self … why do churches today look more like the lingerie department at Wal-Mart, than a battalion of men poised to plunder the powers of darkness?” Why do men avoid going to church, and what can be done about it?
FOLLOW DOUG ON FACEBOOK. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!Certainly, the lack of men in church is not at all difficult to see. Just open your eyes any Sunday morning and go to church. Then, count the number of ladies in the pews, and the number of men. The result: you’re slapped in the face with the Jose Cuervo-like reality that men are avoiding church.
More and more, we are seeing fewer and fewer mature and responsible, evil-challenging tripods who love leadership, the struggle and aren’t afraid to boldly face an increasingly godless environment with conviction, power and the love of God.
So why do most men avoid church? Here’s the veneer stripped-away answer: going to church for the majority of men is an exercise in unwanted effeminacy. Church, for most men, has not only become irrelevant; it has also become effeminate. Hanging out in church for most extra-Y chromosomes seems unmanly and most men more than anything want to be masculine.
The current lack of strong men within the Church, both in the numeric and leadership sense, has crippled our cathedrals and has helped devastate our nation ethically. The masculine spirit being absent from the pulpit, the pew and subsequently the public square has not only slowed down the forward progress of the Church, it has also weakened our nation’s morality, increased our country’s secularity, and has assisted [owing to our absence] the lascivious Left’s re-definition of life, sex, marriage and law.
So how do we regain the masculine spirit in our houses of worship? How do we gird the Church to press on with that which is holy, just and good? How can we Christians fight the good fight honorably, for freedom, family and the flag? Here are a few things the Church can do:
· Put an end to preaching by cheesy, whiny, quiche eating, preening Nancy Boys … right now! It freaks us meat eaters out. Get it? Hire a pastor who throws off a good John Wayne vibe instead of that Boy George feeling. Know what I mean? And cheer on “Pastor Wayne” to serve up the solid meat of the scripture … the stuff that prods the congregation to biblical maturity rather than prolonging their infancy.
· Ditto regarding the worship/music leader. And make sure your new testosterone laden songmeister is outfitted with weighty worship music instead of the saccharine-laced slush we have had to sing ad nauseam et infinitumfor the last, oh, 100 years. That’s a pretty simple can-do ? Don’t you think?
· Enough with the Precious Moments prints and figurines — okay? How about decking out the sanctuary with serious transcendent art work that stops us in our tracks, rather than ubiquitous prints of fat baby angels who look like they’ve got a good buzz going from too much Mountain Dew and children’s aspirin?
· Lose the Church’s “I’m in therapy for ever” feel. Yes, yes, we’re all a work in progress but the co-dependant, extended womb the Church has wrongfully created has allowed congregants to not get a life because of some difficult doo-doo in their lives. Sure life’s hard, little Sally, and the sooner, we celebrate the struggle the quicker we will draw men back to our houses of worship.
If the Church wants to recover its losses, we’ve got to draw the knuckle draggers back to church. Masculine men are pretty easy. Toss in reason, competition, initiation, struggle, fun and a problem to spiritually throttle, and we?ll be there like stink on a monkey. Blow off, suppress, and spiritually emasculate the environment of these holy testicular necessities and your church, as far as men go, will be more empty than an Oktoberfest in Hialeah.
My point is this: if concerned conservative Christians want to improve our nation biblically, then the Church has got to eliminate its effeminate drift and re-establish a masculine bent. Our times demand strong men: the Church must produce them, not repel them. The Church needs men, who start a ministry, start a business; get involved in politics, the arts and education, and who are not afraid of the secular thugs and pimps who try to keep Christians marginalized in a religious ghetto.
One last word for the young Christian man: Do you want to grow up quickly? Then leave mommy’s familiar, safe haven and venture out into the danger zone. As Leon Podles said, “Go find your Holy Grail; go meet the strange, meet the unfamiliar.” Protect people; lead people; rescue people. Fight inequities and absurdities.
Beware, young man, of parents and pastors who want to mother you. Avoid the secure; Fear over-protection; and happily accept the masculine task of the patriarch, the prophet, the warrior and wild man.
Get to a place, young warrior, where pain is not a big deal, where you embrace resistance. And by your example, you will encourage others to resist self-doubt, squeamishness, indecision and the impulse to surrender and withdraw into the warm, wet womb of Wussville.
Islam, Sharia, jihad and terror. Daily, more things appear in the news about the truth of Islam from a multitude of venues. Why do people refuse to hear this truth?
“Perhaps these things that seem important to me are unimportant, but they are all a part of the great human tragedy that stands before us. And if I could do something, which I can’t, to make the world better, I would try to have it more tolerant, more kindly, more understanding; could I do that and nothing else, I would be glad.”
These were the words of Clarence Darrow during his closing argument in the case of People v. Henry Sweet on May 11, 1926 and as the saying goes, “the more things change, the more they stay the same”. The point that Darrow was making was just because some things seemed unimportant, it didn’t mean they were and if one would listen, not just hear, but listen, they too may come to realize the truth.
When I set out to learn about terrorism at a very early age I had no intention of learning anything about, let alone becoming what many have called an “expert” on Islam. I didn’t care about Islam, I didn’t really care about any religion other than my own, I wanted to learn about terrorism and that is what I did.
I started with the history of terrorism, what better way to study a subject than to start at the beginning? I started with the Zealots and the Sicarii in biblical times and learned about terrorism from its original roots all the way up through the 21st Century. Throughout my studies there was one defining factor that kept showing up and the more I learned the more it reared its ugly head, Islam.
Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the Cleaning woman several times. She was tall, Dark-haired and in her 50’s, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question Blank. Just before class ended, one student asked if The last question would count toward our quiz grade.
“Absolutely, ” said the professor.. “In your careers, You will meet many people. All are significant.. They Deserve your attention and care, even if all you do Is smile and say “hello..”
I’ve never forgotten that lesson.. I also learned her Name was Dorothy.
BANNED!!!!!! In France……. Muslim Arse Lifting is Now Illegal- It’s fouling up the air……..
Bare Naked Islam has published an article that France has banned public arse lifting in public streets, all Western countries should put a Ban on Arse Lifting. However, you can be sure that the current UK dhimmis leading the government will not be among them.
This has nothing to do with Muslim prayer, it is all about Islamic supremacy and Muslim parasites wanting to show their British and European welfare benefactors that Muslims are above Western ‘man-made’ laws and need only answer to Allah.
Riposte Laique You can see in these photos, hundreds of Muslims praying (Salah) illegally on the Roads, the Walkways, and on the road to an Islamic center. These pictures are more evidence of the Muslim invasion of all Western countries, and the removal of the authorities in this invasion.
When will Western leaders decide to fight against the massive Islamic transformation of our countries? How long will they continue to betray the people who elected them, and refuse to defend them?
And how long will the people in western countries put up with being lied to by their leaders, and to see their country forcibly converted by Islam? We can be sure that if nothing is done NOW against the Muslim invasion, the people of Europe and other Countries will revolt and will hold their leaders accountable for trying to turn their nations into Islamic fascist states.
Well of course, they do it to PUSH themselves and their Cult on everyone and it should be banned everywhere; IF they want to lift their nasty arses in the street then go BACK to the desert! Isn’t that what their damn mosques are supposedly for? This arse lifting is OFFENSIVE! who wants to see arses lifted in the air – Do you think we would get away with wearing a shirt that say’s “JESUS SAVES” in their countries, NO! We’d be thrown in jail for even thinking of another religion!
Wouldn’t a few noisy Harley Davidson motorcycles idling next to them disrupt their prayer sessions?
Unfortunately, it would be the Harley Riders who would be thrown into jail.
Supremacists have no place in a free society. The Leftards are responsible for permitting Islam to have respectability when it is actually everything they say they HATE.